Building Administrator / Planning and Zoning

         Welcome to Power County Building     Administrator/Planning & Zoning Department 


Thank you for your interest in our web site! We hope to answer most of your questions about the building permit process in Power County. If however, you still have questions or need advice, please don’t hesitate to contact us or come by our office.

                         Building Administrator: Andi Higgins

                         Deputy Building Official: Kim Piper

                      127 Idaho Street, American Falls, ID 83211

Phone: (208) 226-7625 Cell:  (208) 221-1054  

E-mail:   Email:

                       8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday  


Power County Building Ordinance 

Power County Code Link

  Power County code includes all zoning ordinances and subdivision ordinances.  

                  **Solar Ordinance **

                                                         Click here

Public Hearing for the adoption of the Power County Solar Ordinance will be held on April 22, 2024 at 10:00am in the Power County Commissions’ Chambers at 543 Bannock Ave., American Falls, ID 83211


   **Some of the links are down due to Ordinance changes. Please call the office for required documents.**                                                                                                                           Power County Planning Application Instructions   

                                              Permit Application Form Link

Checklist for Building Permit Requirements


      Frequently Asked Questions

When Does Planning and Zoning Meet?

Meetings are the first Tuesday of every month with exception of July & August. Due to vacation and work schedules these months are difficult to assure a quorum be available. Nine meetings are required to be held within a 12 month period of time. 


When do I need a building permit?

Any new construction, structural additions, alterations, out buildings over 120 Sq. Ft., all interior remodels except for painting and carpeting, re-roofing and re-siding projects, placing a manufactured home in or out of a park, window or replacement if the opening size will be larger than the door/windows taken out.


Do agricultural buildings require a permit?

Yes! All buildings require a permit, however for a farm placement set back, permits are issued only on buildings that conform to these placement requirements: building must be in an agricultural zoned district, must be 60’ from the all habitable structures, has to be on an actual working farm, and be used only for housing agricultural animals, livestock or farm implements. Setback requirements may vary depending upon the roadway.  Please call for additional information.


How much time does a permit allow me to build?

A permit issued is allotted for a 180-day time frame. If your project takes longer, if there is verified work in progress, you can by meeting certain criteria, be granted an extension by contacting our office.


How long does it take to issue a permit?

Depending on the type and complexity of project you are working on, it takes between 10 to 14 days. However an exception will be made for re-roofing, re-siding and sign permits to be issued the same day if you get us the information needed in a timely fashion.



Building Administrator Secure Area